has been visited
4 March 2009
Sub-Project 2. Alternatives to dehorning
- State of the art of dehorning in the EU
- To estimate how many cattle are dehorned or
not, and how dehorning is practiced across the European Union.
- To analyse farmers’ attitudes towards
dehorning practices vs. horned animals.
- Assessment of benefits and drawbacks of
dehorning and alternatives to dehorning in dairy and beef cattle.
- To summarise possible effects of dehorning
on the development of the animals.
- To assess the pros and cons of current
alternatives to dehorning: keeping fully horned animals and
producing polled animals.
- Short and long term strategies for future
- To find solutions to overcome actual
problems or limits to alternatives to dehorning.
- To check acceptability of alternatives to
dehorning by stakeholders.
- To formulate final recommendations on
alternatives to dehorning.